At Tuesday’s meetings:
- The Board discussed and adopted a resolution for the Block 67 North Community Reinvestment Area, which is located just west of the Salt Palace Convention Center. The project area plan is for the north half of block 67 and is the first step to provide incentives to help redevelop the block.
- The Board discussed the Central 9th project and concerns about how maintenance of that project might affect the general fund budget and the benefits it could bring to that community of small businesses. The Board will likely consider the budget for this project during next month’s Board meeting.
- The Council heard from the City’s contract lobbyist based in Washington D.C. about opportunities for the City to leverage federal funding. She gave the Council advice about ways to maximize the City’s chances of succeeding in opportunity zone funding and at procuring federal grants for priorities and initiatives such as housing, transportation, economic development, and Department of Justice grants, among others.
- The Council requested information from the Administration about public feedback received during a recent open house about proposed congregate care facility zoning amendments. More than 30 people addressed the Council about the proposal. The amendments address zoning regulations for facilities that provide short-term housing for the terminally ill and seriously ill, neighborhood compatibility, and impact concerns. The Council asked the Administration to examine options before bringing the issue back to the Council for further discussion and another public hearing. A timeline was not identified.
- The Council heard from more than 20 people representing non-profits, service providers, and community organizations seeking a portion of $6 million in federal grants for their organizations. Mayor Jackie Biskupski made funding recommendations which the Council will deliberate in the coming weeks, likely taking action in April.
- The Council discussed various grant applications, rezones and other items.
Visit the Council’s agendas page for meeting documents and video.