At Tuesday’s meeting:
- the RDA Board received an update on the challenges of implementing a $4.5 million Notice of Funding Availability for affordable housing in high-opportunity areas. High-opportunity areas are usually places where residents have better access to factors that affect their potential economic mobility, such as jobs, health care and public transit. The Board requested additional information from RDA staff and expects to have a follow-up discussion in the coming months.
- The RDA Board updated the mission statement for the organization and discussed a guiding framework for how to evaluate projects and programs.
- the Council received an overview of the Mayor’s Recommended City Budget for upcoming Fiscal Year 2019-20. The Council will continue to discuss and adjust the budget from now until mid-June. The first of two public hearings to accept feedback about the budget will be held on Tuesday, May 21 at approximately 7 p.m. See the Facebook event here.
- the Council received an overview of the first year of the Funding Our Future initiative, as well as the Mayor’s recommended funding allocations for upcoming Fiscal Year 2019-20. The Council will continue to discuss components of and possible adjustments to the Funding Our Future critical needs (public safety, affordable housing, improved streets, and better transit options) within the relevant departments’ budget briefings.
- the Council also heard and discussed the proposed budgets for the Department of Economic Development and the Metropolitan Water District.