FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 21, 2021
Cindy Lou Trishman, City Recorder
Council Communication team
The Salt Lake City Recorder’s Office will accept applications starting on Monday, April 26 to begin a two-step process to replace City Council Member Andrew Johnston, the District Two representative. Johnston has accepted a position as the Director of Homelessness Policy and Outreach with SLC Mayor Erin Mendenhall’s administration.
A City Council Member may vacate their position by providing a letter of resignation to the City Recorder and the Council, which Johnston did on April 20. He announced he will leave the District seat as of Wednesday, April 21.
Because of the length of time remaining in Johnston’s term and the 2021 municipal election, Utah requires the two-year term to be placed on the ballot for the November election. In the interim, one person will be appointed to fill the position until January 3, 2022.
First, a Council Member for District Two will be chosen by the Council from a public list of applicants within 30 days of the vacancy. The appointed City Council Member will serve a seven-month period that runs through the appointment date to January 3, 2022. Any person interested in serving in the appointed position for City Council Member of District Two, who meets the eligibility and residency requirements, is invited to submit an application of interest to the City Recorder. Applications are due May 10 by Noon.
Second, the remaining two years of Johnston’s term, from 2022-2024, will be filled through the general election process of the 2021 Municipal Election. Information for members of the public who wish to declare candidacy or open a campaign committee for the two-year term, and who meet the eligibility and residency requirements is available online at www.slc.gov/attorney/recorder/elections or by contacting the City Recorder’s Office at 801-535-7671 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility & Residency Requirements:
- Be a registered voter of the Municipality.
- Have resided in Council District Two for 12 consecutive months immediately before the date of the appointment and remain a resident of District Two throughout the term of office.
- In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, a mentally incompetent individual, an individual convicted of a felony, or an individual convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Sections 20A-2-101.3 and 20A-2-101.5.
Application for Appointment:
Applications shall be submitted in person, observing social distancing and mask requirements, to the City Recorder’s Office at the temporary location of 349 South 200 East, Suite 100 Salt Lake City, Utah by the deadline on Monday, May 10 by 12:00 noon.
Applicants are encouraged to include a letter of interest and resume to highlight their qualifications for the position. Applicants are reminded that all information provided will become part of the public record. Applicants may not be employed by Salt Lake City if selected for the vacancy.
Applications are available beginning Friday, April 23rd online through Monday, May 10 at: www.slcdocs.com/recorder/application. The application may not be turned in to the Recorder until Monday, April 26.
The City Council will hold public meetings as needed on Thursday, May 13; Tuesday, May 18; and Thursday, May 20 to interview applicants. Applicants should be available for all listed meetings as interviews may continue and an appointment can be made at any of the three mentioned meeting dates. Meetings will take place virtually through the Webex platform.
- Monday, 04/26 Application period opens
- Monday, 05/10 by Noon Deadline to submit an application to City Recorder’s Office
- Thursday, 5/13 Initial City Council meeting to interview applicants
- Tues 5/18 and Thurs 5/20 Potential additional meeting dates to continue interviews if needed.
The Council appointment of a new Council Member requires a majority vote. The City Recorder swears in the new Council Member.