FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 14, 2018
Cindi Mansell, City Recorder
Dan Weist or Molly Farmer
Council Communication team
The Salt Lake City Recorder’s office will begin accepting applications on Friday, December 14 through Tuesday, January 15 to replace City Council Member Derek Kitchen, the District Four representative. Kitchen was chosen by voters in November to represent Utah State Senate District Two. He will take office in January of 2019.
A City Council Member may vacate their position by providing a letter of resignation to the City Recorder and the City Council, which Kitchen did on November 21. Kitchen announced he will leave the District seat as of Jan. 1.
Who can apply?
Eligibility and Residency Requirements:
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Be a registered voter.
- Have resided in Council District Four for 12 consecutive months immediately before the date of the appointment and remain a resident of District Four throughout the term of office.
- In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, a mentally incompetent individual, an individual convicted of a felony, or an individual convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Sections 20A-2-101.3 and 20A-2-101.5.\
- May not be employed by Salt Lake City if selected for the vacancy.
A Council Member for District Four will be chosen by the Council within 30 days of the vacancy and immediately be seated to finish a term ending at the Oath of Office in January 2020. The City Recorder’s Office has application forms for individuals interested in filling the vacant position at www.slcdocs.com/recorder/application.pdf The City Recorder completes the application process with interested individuals prior to the Council’s review and interview process.
The Council interviews applicants during an open City Council meeting. Those public interviews are scheduled for Jan. 22. The public interviews may continue at a later meeting. The City Council selects, by majority vote, an applicant to fill the vacancy. The chosen applicant is sworn in by the City Recorder.
For more information about how to apply for a vacant City Council Seat, please visit the City Recorder’s web page at https://www.slc.gov/attorney/recorder/elections or call (801) 535-7671.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the vacancy process: https://www.slc.gov/council/council-duties/vacated-council-seat
- Subscribe to email updates on this vacancy: http://eepurl.com/dMWK6g