Salt Lake City

Emergency Management

(801) 799-3605 |

FAQ’s Fix The Bricks

Fix the Bricks is a first of its kind hazard mitigation program designed to assist homeowners with the costs of seismic structural improvements to their Unreinforced Masonry (URM) dwelling.

As the first city in the nation to offer this program, we are currently assisting with the cost of roof to wall connections and the cost of securing chimneys to the main structure.

The 2016 grant process was the pilot for this program. Salt Lake City anticipates applying annually for pre-disaster mitigation funding to continue this project.

Homeowner Frequently Asked Questions

Why are roof to wall connections and chimney bracing reinforcements a priority?

The most significant potential risk from these URMs buildings is collapse. Securing the items mentioned above we can stabilize the structures and make it less likely to collapse by reducing the numbers of collapsed houses we mitigate the impact to the community by reducing deaths, injuries and trapped families.

What are the preliminary requirements to participate in this program? MAP temporarily removed from site for revisions.

You must live within Salt Lake City’s boundaries. If you would like to see the map of the city please visit our Fix The Bricks home page.

You must own a home of Unreinforced Masonry construction as described in the “Utah Guide for the Seismic Improvement of Unreinforced Masonry Dwellings”.

What if I live outside of Salt Lake City Boundaries?

Your information will be passed onto your local city or county so that you can be contacted if the program become available in your area.

What if my home has a national or local historic designation?

SLC Fix the Bricks has worked with State Historic Preservation Office and Salt Lake City Historic Landmark Commission to approve specific seismic retrofitting details from the URM manual. Your home may have to go through additional historic approval processes, however, if your contractor follows our program guidelines we should be able to get your home through the process.

You may qualify for additional programs. Contact the Utah Division of State History – Financial Assistance for Historic Preservation

When will my house become officially eligible for grant funding?

Registrations are addressed in the order they are received, all applications are maintained until funding becomes available. We can only process homes during open funding grant cycles. If your home is identified as a potential project during one of these cycles you will be contacted for participation evaluation.

If I register today for the first time, when will I be funded?

Salt Lake City anticipates applying annually for pre-disaster mitigation funding to continue this project. Salt Lake City is maintaining a participant list on a first come first serve basis. The registrants will be contacted as funding becomes available.

What about multiple homes, apartments or a condominium?

If you have multiple properties, please register each of them separately. For apartments and condominiums contact us for further details 801-799-3698 or email us at:

If I own one home and register it multiple times will it increase my odds of being funded?

If you register more than one property, it will be reviewed in the order in which it was received. If you register multiple times for the same property, duplicates will be deleted.

Why have I not been contacted after completing the online registration?

There are many variables that come into play during the extensive process of getting your house funded through this grant. We currently have an overwhelming interest in this program and are working to get as many projects accepted as possible.  Please be patient, you will be contacted as soon as your application is under review.

Do you have a list of engineers and contractors?

As a government entity we do not make direct referrals. However, we suggest that you contact the Home Builders Association of Utah (HBAU) or the Utah Preservation Directory for contractors, engineers, etc. for qualified contractors.

How much time do I have to complete construction?

The construction timeline will be stated in the contract you sign between you and the city. The grant performance period is approximately two years from the date that the F.E.M.A. award is given to Salt Lake City Emergency Management.

Can I use my own contractor?

Yes, you select the qualified contractor for your project. We recommend getting estimates from several contractors to determine which is best for you.

What if I am an architect, engineer, or contractor and/or own a company that does any one of these things?

Any work performed by the homeowner is not eligible for reimbursement; regardless of professional qualifications.

If you would like to participate in the program as a professional service provider, please contact us for more details available training and continuing education credit: or call 801-799-3698.

How much is this going to cost?

Each home varies in cost due to age, size, perimeter, work desired, and historical preservation needs. The current average is $20,000 for a 2500 sq. ft. home with two chimneys. If accepted into the program; the grant will cover up to 75% and the homeowner will be responsible for the remaining cost.

Can I get a loan for my share of the retrofitting cost?

Yes. The homeowner’s percentage can be financed through a loan. Contact the financial institution of your choice.

If I do the work now can I receive a reimbursement later?

No. The work must be done following the specific grant of the guidelines which need to be verified through the outlined process.

What needs to happen before a reimbursement check is issued? 

Upon completion of your project, you and the city will reconcile the homeowner agreement with the project documentation. The project documentation is submitted and processed by the city. Then payment and reimbursement take place.

What is a Homeowner Agreement?

The Homeowner Agreement is a document that both you and Salt Lake City will sign stating that both parties agree to the listed terms. For instance, if your property is located in a FEMA flood plain the homeowner will be required to purchase and maintain flood insurance to comply with the city flood insurance ordinance.

What is a Seismic E.H.P.?

E.H.P. stands for Environmental Historical Preservation, this is a process to ensure that any environmental or historical portion of home or land will be maintained during and after retrofitting. After your property has been reviewed during the first site visit your home will go through an E.H.P. review if it falls into one or more of the following categories:

  • Your home is over 50 years of age.
  • Your home is located in a national historical district.
  • Your home is located in a local historical district.
  • We strongly urge you to use all pre-approved techniques that cause minimal to no effect to the structures historic value to comply with statute or ordinance.

Why do I have to fill out a W-9?

  • Salt Lake City Corporation has to maintain tax records on all funds passed through. This will apply to you in the reimbursement process.

Who do I contact for specific questions?

  • 801-799-3698