HISTORIC LANDMARK COMMISSION
The Historic Landmark Commission conducts design reviews of new construction or alterations to landmark sites and to properties located in Salt Lake City’s local historic districts. Any demolition within an historic district must be approved by this Commission. The Commission is also charged with monitoring the preservation of historically significant resources within the boundaries of the City and reviewing proposed regulations affecting historic preservation. The Commission also reviews and makes recommendations on proposals to designate additional historic properties.
Agendas and Minutes
Ordinance and Governing Documents
Rules of Procedures
Every first Thursday of the month; beginning at 5:30 p.m. Additional meetings as needed.
City and County Building
Room 326 // 451 S State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84114
Seven to eleven members, appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council, serve on the Historic Landmark Commission. Each member serves a four-year term. The Commission consists of citizens interested in historic preservation and knowledgeable about the heritage of the City. The Commission should include at least two architects and other members who possess preservation related experience in archeology, architecture, architectural history, construction, history, folk studies, law, public history, real estate appraisal or urban planning.
For any additional information, please reference Chapter 21A.06.050.D&E.
Powers and Duties
- Encourage proper development and maintenance of historic structures and districts
- Promote public awareness of historic preservation
- Conduct studies of significant historic elements
- Review demolition and alteration requests within historic districts
- Recommend boundaries for Historic Districts to Planning Commission
- When requested, make recommendations on conditional uses within historic districts
- Make recommendations on master plans and possible ordinance revisions to Planning Commission, City Council, and Mayor’s Office
|Member||Serving Since||Council District||Term Expires|
|Rocío de María Torres Mora||2019||7||2023|
Michaela Oktay // Deputy Director