This Online Open House will provide an opportunity for you to review information about the proposal and provide any questions or comments. This Open House meeting will be an electronic meeting pursuant to Salt Lake City Emergency Proclamation No. 2 of 2020 (2)(b).
Zoning Text Amendment
Administrative Decision Appeals Text Amendment
Petition Number: PLNPCM2020-00352
Code Section: 21A.16 “Appeals of Administrative Decisions”
The City Council has initiated a petition to amend the zoning ordinance regulations regarding appeals of administrative decisions to better comply with state law. Administrative decisions are those made by the Planning Commission, Historic Landmark Commission, or the Zoning Administrator in the administration of the zoning ordinance. State law recently changed with House Bill 388, making modifications to who has the right to appeal such decisions. Additionally, recent case law has clarified the scope of appeals allowed to be decided by the City’s Appeals Hearing Officer. The proposed amendments would modify City Code to align with state law, related case law, and make other clarifications to that code section. The amendments primarily clarify what matters can be decided by the City’s Appeals Hearing Officer, who can appeal decisions, and when an appeal can stay a decision.
The full proposed draft ordinance can be downloaded here:
- View – Clean draft ordinance (not showing redlined changes) of the proposed City Code (21A.16)
The City’s Planning Staff will review the proposal against adopted policies and regulations and provide a recommendation to the Planning Commission. The below are criteria used to analyze a proposed zoning text amendment:
- Whether a proposed text amendment is consistent with the purposes, goals, objectives, and policies of the City as stated through its various adopted planning documents.
- Whether a proposed text amendment furthers the specific purpose statements of the zoning ordinance.
- Whether a proposed text amendment is consistent with the purposes and provisions of any applicable overlay zoning districts which may impose additional standards.
- The extent to which a proposed text amendment implements best current, professional practices of urban planning and design.
- The Planning Division is in the process of obtaining public comment on this proposal to help identify concerns and issues from the public.
- The Planning Commission will hold a public hearing and will make a recommendation to City Council. The Planning Commission public hearing will be scheduled at a future date.
- The City Council will hold a public hearing and will make a final decision on the zoning amendment application. The City Council public hearing will be scheduled at a future date.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail. Staff will directly respond via email or phone to any questions received as soon as possible.
- End of the online open house public comment period: August 3, 2020
Daniel Echeverria // firstname.lastname@example.org // 801-535-7165
(phone numbers are currently available for voicemails only)
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable zoning standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.