The Small Claims section of the Salt Lake City Justice Court is designated to settle monetary legal issues and problems arising from contractual, service disputes and other claims. Small Claims cases are governed by Utah Code title 78A, Chapter 8. The rules for Small Claims can be found in the Utah Court Rules annotated, Utah Rules of Small Claims Procedure.
All small claims hearings are being conducted remotely via WebEx. Please contact us at email@example.com to provide an updated email address and phone number, so you receive the link to join your trial.
Masks are mandatory for MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC at all times.
How to File and Prepare for Court
- Jurisdiction: A case must be filed where the defendant resides or the claim arose (where the events happened).
- Jurisdiction map. Click on Basemap then select County Basemap, if you get an error message, click okay, the map will still work. https://slco.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?layers=ebafcaed0a5a4bb8a142c9d170ee65cfre
- Filing your case: Once you have determined that Salt Lake City Justice Court has jurisdiction over your case, it is suggested that you use our court specific forms for all filings. However, the Utah State Court also has a program called, Online Court Assistance Program (OCAP) for assistance in preparing court documents that may be used and filed in our court.
- Small Claims Class: Utah Association for Justice is offering a free Small Claims class, held monthly, at the Salt Lake City Justice Court. For questions, please call them at 801-531-7514
- Mediation: Utah Dispute Resolution offers mediation services at this court. They are available at the beginning of each court session to help mediate small claims cases.
- The Small Claims Process, including Fees and Frequently Asked Questions, go to the Utah Courts’ self-help page: https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/smallclaims/
- Forms: forms
If English is not your primary language and you are unable to understand or communicate in English, the court will appoint an interpreter for you for all court hearings. You must request a court interpreter at least 3 days before the hearing or the hearing may have to be postponed. To request a court interpreter, you may call the court at 801-535-6300, you may also email the court at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that an interpreter may be scheduled to appear at your court hearing.
Small Claims Standing Order
SC Standing Order-click here.
Small Claims Class
Utah Association for Justice (UAJ) offers a free Small Claims class, held monthly, at the Salt Lake City Justice Court. For questions, please call UAJ at 801-531-7514.
Utah State list of Legal Clinics
Utah State Bar list of Legal Clinics
Modest Means Lawyer Referral Program Utah.FreeLegalAnswers.org
Click on the following link for the jurisdictional map. Click on Basemap then select County Basemap, if you get an error message, click, okay, as the map still works.
ADA Notice: If you are a party to a case, a witness or prospective juror and you need special accommodations (including communication aids and services) during an upcoming proceeding, please call the Salt Lake City Justice Court at 801-535-6300, or fax the court at 801-535-6302 at least three business days before the proceeding.