If you receive a traffic citation you may be eligible for a plea in abeyance (traffic school) and have your citation reported as a dismissal to the Driver License Division. Plea in abeyance (traffic school) is not an option if you were cited for speeding in a school zone. If you were involved in an accident and are interested in traffic school, you must contact a Judicial Assistant by phone or in person, to find out if you qualify. If you have a CDL, please contact the court. You may qualify for a plea in abeyance (traffic school) if you meet the following conditions:
- Pay to the Court the violation fee plus a plea in abeyance fee ($25), first. The traffic school fee of $65.00 will be paid online before you begin traffic school.
- The traffic violation does not involve a mandatory court appearance;
- The traffic violation does not involve speeding cited for more than 20 mph over the posted speed limit.
- The City Prosecutor has approved the plea in abeyance if a traffic violation involves an accident and restitution has been addressed.
- Defendant is willing to plead guilty.
- A plea in abeyance fee of $25.00 is assessed.
- The fee assessed conforms to the Uniform Bail Schedule for the cited speed.
- It is the first traffic offense in a twelve month period within our jurisdiction.
- The defendant agrees to complete Tier 1 traffic school within 60 days.
- Defendant has less than 4 traffic offenses within a 5 year period in any jurisdiction.
- Complete traffic school.
You must immediately notify the court of any change of address or phone number. Keep a copy of your plea in abeyance form for your record(s). Once all the conditions have been met and verified by the court, your completed plea in abeyance agreement will be docketed and submitted.
Although the court offers an in-house and on line traffic school, you also have the option of your choice of traffic school through other entities.
On line Traffic School
Before proceeding to take on line traffic school, you must pay your citation on line including the plea in abeyance fee first. An authorization code that is required for on line traffic school, will appear on your receipt after you pay on line. After you have made your citation payment on line and received an authorization code, you may proceed to on line traffic school; click here. Once all the conditions have been met and verified by the court, your completed plea in abeyance agreement will be docketed and submitted to the court.
In Person Traffic School
Traffic school is held on the first Thursday and the third Thursday of each month from 5:15 pm to 6:30 pm at the Salt Lake City Justice Court, located at, 333 S 200 E, SLC UT 84111.
The plea in abeyance form must be presented to the instructor on the night of traffic school or you will not be admitted. The instructor will turn in your agreement for you. Do not be late. There will be no admittance after school has begun and you must stay for the entire class to receive credit. No infants or children under 16 are allowed in traffic school.
Referrals from outside agencies to take Salt Lake City Justice Court In-person Traffic School
If you have been referred from an outside agency to attend the Salt Lake City Justice Court In-person traffic school, you may sign up with a Judicial Assistant in person. You will receive a traffic school invitation form to take to the class. The instructor will validate your form. It is your responsibility to turn in your completed, validated traffic school invitation form to the referring agency.
* If you do not qualify for traffic school, please contact the court at 801-535-6300 for other options.
All fees are non-refundable.