Plea in Abeyance
If you receive a traffic citation you may be eligible for a plea in abeyance and have your citation reported as a dismissal to the Driver License Division. Plea in abeyance is not an option if you were cited for speeding in a school zone. If you were involved in an accident and are interested in traffic school, you must contact a Judicial Assistant by phone or in person, to find out if you qualify. If you have a CDL, please contact the court. You may qualify for a plea in abeyance if you meet the following conditions:
- Pay to the Court the violation fee plus a plea in abeyance fee ($25), first. The traffic school fee of $65.00 will be paid online before you begin traffic school.
- The traffic violation does not involve a mandatory court appearance;
- The traffic violation does not involve speeding cited for more than 20 mph over the posted speed limit.
- The City Prosecutor has approved the plea in abeyance if a traffic violation involves an accident and restitution has been addressed.
- Defendant is willing to plead guilty.
- A plea in abeyance fee of $25.00 is assessed.
- The fee assessed conforms to the Uniform Bail Schedule for the cited speed.
- It is the first traffic offense in a twelve month period within our jurisdiction.
- The defendant agrees to complete traffic school within 60 days.
- Defendant has less than 4 traffic offenses within a 5 year period in any jurisdiction.
- Complete an online traffic school.
You must immediately notify the court of any change of address or phone number. Keep a copy of your plea in abeyance form for your record(s). Once all the conditions have been met and verified by the court, your completed plea in abeyance agreement will be docketed and submitted.
Although the court offers online traffic school, you also have the option of your choice of online traffic school through other entities.
Online Traffic School
Before proceeding to take online traffic school, you must pay your citation online including the plea in abeyance fee first. An authorization code that is required for online traffic school, will appear on your receipt after you pay online. After you have made your citation payment online and received an authorization code, you may proceed to online traffic school; click here. Once all the conditions have been met and verified by the court, your completed plea in abeyance agreement will be docketed and submitted to the court.
* If you do not qualify for traffic school, please contact the court at (801)535-6300 for other options.
All fees are non-refundable.
Utah State Bar list of Legal Clinics
Modest Means Lawyer Referral Program
Finding Legal Help