The appeals hearing officer shall hear and decide appeals alleging an error in any administrative decision made by the zoning administrator or the administrative hearing officer in the administration or enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance, as well as decisions of the historic landmark commission; and the planning commission.
In addition, the appeals hearing officer shall hear and decide applications for variances and shall make determinations regarding the existence, expansion or modification of nonconforming uses and noncomplying structures. The Appeals Hearing Officer also hears appeals of Impact Fees.
There are currently no vacancies for this board. Please see below for upcoming term expiration/vacancy dates.
If you are interested in serving as an Appeals Hearing Officer, please fill out and submit an application online. Only applications submitted up to one year prior to a vacancy/term expiration date will be considered. The Mayor’s office will only contact applicants when considering them for specific appointments.
Alternative formats of this application are available upon request. Please call 801-535-6244.
As needed on the second Thursday of the month; time varies
City and County Building, Room 326, 451 S State, Salt Lake City
The appeals hearing officer shall be appointed by Mayor Erin Mendenhall with the advice and consent of the city council. Mayor Mendenhall may appoint more than one appeals hearing officer, but only one appeals hearing officer shall consider and decide upon any matter properly presented for appeals hearing officer review. The appeals hearing officer may serve a maximum of two (2) consecutive full terms of five (5) years each. The appeals hearing officer shall either be law trained or have significant experience with land use laws and the requirements and operations of administrative hearing processes.
Powers and Duties
- Hear and decide appeals from any administrative decision made by the zoning administrator in the administration or the enforcement of this title pursuant to the procedures and standards set forth in chapter 21A.16, “Appeals Of Administrative Decisions”, of the Zoning Ordinance;
- Authorize variances from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance pursuant to the procedures and standards set forth in chapter 21A.18, “Variances”, of the Zoning Ordinance;
- Hear and decide appeals of any administrative decision made by the historic landmark commission pursuant to the procedures and standards set forth in section 21A.34.020, “H Historic Preservation Overlay District”, of the Zoning Ordinance;
- Hear and decide appeals from decisions made by the planning commission concerning subdivisions or subdivision amendments pursuant to the procedures and standards set forth in title 20, “Subdivisions And Condominiums”, of this code; and
- Hear and decide appeals from administrative decisions made by the planning commission pursuant to the procedures and standards set forth in the Zoning Ordinance.
- Hear and decide appeals related to Impact Fees
|Member||Serving Since||Term Expires|
|Craig Call||2012||September 2022|
|Matthew Wirthlin||2014||September 2024|
|Mary Woodhead||2014||October 2024|
Appeals Hearing Officer
City & County Building, Rm 406
PO Box 145480
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-5480