The Human Rights Commission focuses on eliminating discrimination in Salt Lake City to better enhance the general welfare of the city’s residents by enhancing the vitality of diverse neighborhoods and businesses.
Agendas and Minutes
Ordinance and Governing Documents
There are currently 2 vacancies on the Human Rights Commission.
Please see below for all upcoming term expiration/vacancy dates. Only applications submitted up to one year prior to a vacancy date will be considered. The Mayor’s office will only contact applicants when considering them for specific appointments.
If you are interested in serving on this commission, please fill out and submit an application online. To find out which district you reside in go here.
First Tuesday of the month, beginning at 5:30 p.m.
Salt Lake City and County Building, 451 South State, Room 335
Nine members, must be 21 years of age to serve on the Human Rights Commission. Seven members are required to represent each of the council districts, while the other two members from the community represent diversity. Members are appointed by Mayor Erin Mendenhall with the advice and consent of the City Council.
Residency requirements: must be a resident of the City.
Powers and Duties
The Commission makes recommendations to Mayor Mendenhall and City Council concerning:
- The ongoing review of ordinances/policies
- Use of educational resources regarding issues of discrimination and equal treatment
- Reviewing of complaints of discrimination involving city departments/services for the purpose of identifying the possible systemic or institutional sources for discrimination
- Assessment of legislation, policies or any other action by the city designed to further the elimination of prejudice and discrimination
- Actions as a resource at the request of community councils
|#||Member||District||Serving Since||Term Expires|
|1||Jason Wessel||D1||2016||December 2023|
|2||Esther Stowell||D2||2020||December 2024|
|4||Ivis Garcia||D4||2020||December 2024|
|5||Nicole Salazar-Hall||D5||2017||November 2021|
|6||Shannon Kelly||D6||2020||April 2022|
|7||Shauna Doumbia||D7||2017||December 2024|
|8||Luna Banuri||At-Large||2018||May 2022|