This board advises the Salt Lake City Mayor and City Council on issues relating to the City’s parks, natural lands, urban forestry and trails. Primarily, the board is tasked with providing and overseeing strong stewardship of the City’s parks, natural lands, urban forest and trails; educating the public and advocating for the City’s parks, natural lands, urban forest and trails policies; and encouraging and facilitating public involvement and input, and the incorporation of that input into the City’s parks, natural lands, urban forest and trails plans and policies.
Agendas and Minutes
Bylaws and Governing Documents
The Parks, Natural Lands, Urban Forestry and Trails Advisory Board has between nine and eleven members. Each member is appointed to a three-year term and may serve up to two consecutive terms. Members should reflect geographic, professional, cultural, and neighborhood/community diversity. Members with arborist, landscape architect, ecologist, land management, natural and developed non-motorized trail design, architectural, financial, planning, historic preservation, recreation, sustainability and environmental backgrounds are encouraged.
Third Thursday of the month, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
Parks Building, 1965 West 500 South
Powers and Duties
The Parks, Natural Lands, Urban Forestry and Trails Advisory Board has the following powers and duties:
- Review and advise on budget relating to the City’s parks, natural lands, urban forestry and trails.
- Make recommendations and review capital improvements relating to the City’s parks, natural land, urban forestry and trails programs.
- Review and make recommendations regarding acquisitions and dispositions.
- Review operation and management policies related to use, special events, facilities, resource protection, best management practices and the implementation of landscaping standards, design standards, and sustainability for the City’s parks, natural lands, urban forestry and trails.
- Advise and provide input on broad policy, management, master plans and development standards related activities, specific goals and direction of the parks, transportation, and urban forestry divisions, as they relate to parks, trails, and urban forestry.
- Provide advice and expertise to other boards such as the Historic Landmarks Commission, Planning Commission, and Transportation Advisory Board, as requested or deemed appropriate.
- Advise and provide input on the acquisition of sale of properties within the Parks and Public Lands program.
- Administer and perform all duties and responsibilities of the open space lands program.
|Member||Serving Since||Council District||Term Expires|
|Elliot Mott||2016||At Large|
|Polly Hart||2016||At Large|
Parks and Public Lands
Public Services Department
1965 West 500 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84104
(801) 972-7829 or firstname.lastname@example.org