Salt Lake City

Justice Court

333 S 200 E, Salt Lake City UT 84111

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a question below to open the response. If your question is not listed below, you can contact court staff to get your questions answered.

How much is my citation/ticket?

You can find out how much is owed through the online payment portal. The amount owed will appear after you input your information (citation#, case# or driver’s license#).

How do I pay my citation/ticket?

You may pay your citation online through the online payment portal, with a debit or credit card, in-person at the courthouse (cash-debit-credit cards accepted) or mail in your payment (do not mail cash, only mail in check or cashier’s check made payable to Salt Lake City Justice Court).

You may also contact the court to make payment arrangements. Contact information is here.

I received a traffic citation. What are my options?

Traffic citations may be resolved in a variety of ways. You can decide to contest the allegations and schedule a hearing. You can decide if you agree with the allegations and resolve your case by pleading guilty and paying the associated fine. You may also qualify for a “Deferred Prosecution Agreement” or “Plea in Abeyance Agreement” which, if completed successfully, do not result in a conviction being reported to the DLD. Learn more here.

Where can I find information about Jury Service?

Information about jury service including whether you been selected and where to complete the jury survey can be found on the jury information page..

You can also direct questions about jury service to the Court’s jury phone line: (801)535-6430 (M-F 8:30am to 4:00pm), and email:

When is my court date?

You may view the court docket by, clicking here. The docket updates daily and has a thirty day view. You may search by name or case number by using the “Find” functions of your computer (press Ctrl-F on your keyboard. A “Find” box will appear, type in the name or case number and click “next”). If you cannot find your name in the court docket, please call the court for more information at (801)535-6300.

How can I keep track of what is happening in my case?

Access your case information online using MyCase. MyCase is an online system available from the Utah State Courts. You can use MyCase to:

  • View your case history (a record of what has happened in your case)
  • View the papers that have been filed in your case
  • View a list of scheduled hearings (including past and upcoming hearings)
  • File documents in your existing Small Claims case
  • Sign up today by clicking here!

    Do I have a warrant?

    You may search for warrants by name through the Utah Statewide Warrant Search.

    If you find that you have an active warrant for a Salt Lake City Justice Court case, contact the court for information on how to get the warrant recalled.

    Court Location and Hours. Where do I park?

    Court contact information: click here

    Parking & driving directions: click here

    I received a citation for driving without insurance (“No Insurance”), but I had insurance. What do I do?

    If you have received a traffic citation for No Insurance, the court will require proof of insurance on your insurance company’s letterhead in order to dismiss the “No Insurance” charge. The letter should be sent to the attention of “Traffic”, and include the following information:

  • Your Full Name
  • Court Case Number
  • Date of Coverage (must be covered on the date of violation)
  • Make of Vehicle
  • Policy Number
  • Agent Phone Number
  • Agent’s Signature
  • The letter should be emailed to

    Upon successful proof of Insurance, your case will be dismissed and closed. If your case includes additional charges you will need to resolve those charges accordingly.

    I received a “fix it” violation, what do I do?

    If you receive a citation for equipment violation and have proof that you have fixed the problem, take your vehicle to a local law enforcement officer OR to the Salt Lake City Justice Court to check for compliance. The person checking for compliance will sign off on the bottom of your citation. Then, you need to either mail in the signed citation to the Salt Lake City Justice Court or bring to the Court in person.

    The court must receive proof of compliance within 30 days of the date of your citation, in order for your citation to be dismissed.

    What if I cannot afford to pay the fine all at once?

    If you cannot afford to pay the entire fine at once, you may request either an extension or a payment plan. Judicial Assistants may grant extensions, normally up to 30 days. If you need a payment plan, you must pay the first payment at the time the plan is setup. Monthly payments are made until the fine is fully paid. Automatic monthly payments on a debit or credit card may be arranged. To set up a payment plan or to request an extension, contact the court.

    How do I make a request to my judge?

    You may submit an online Request to Judge form. Some common requests include requests for more time to pay fines, extensions of time to complete treatment, etc. You will receive a response via email or phone. A hearing may be required before your judge makes a decision on your request.

    I was appointed a Legal Defender, how do I contact them?

    Salt Lake Legal Defenders
    275 East 200 South
    Salt Lake City UT 84111
    Phone: (801)532-5444

    I do not qualify for a public defender. Where can I find low-cost or free legal assistance?

    Utah State Bar list of Legal Clinics

    Modest Means Lawyer Referral Program

    What are the statute of limitations for filing a Small Claims case?

    The time limits, or statute of limitations for filing a small claims case vary depending on the type of case. Refer to Utah Code Website for general rules concerning statutes of limitations.

    Do I need an attorney in Small Claims case?

    No. Small Claims is informal. You are not required to retain a lawyer to sue or defend a case in Small Claims Court. Many people in Small Claims represent themselves. However, if you feel that you need an attorney, you may hire one.

    Who uses the court on Small Claims cases and when?

    Any individual or business may use small claims court, if the problem can be settled for monetary purposes only at $15,000 or less, and if the court has jurisdiction over the matter.