Salt Lake City

Event Permits | 801-535-6121


When do I need a permit?

Whenever you or your organization would like to hold any kind of activity (event, free expression, film/photo) on Salt Lake City public property, you should fill out an application and submit it to our office. We permit all activities held only on public property (roads, sidewalks, parks, plazas, etc.), and if you aren’t sure, we are more than happy to answer any questions. A good rule of thumb is to submit an application as your first step and we will let you know how to proceed. All application locations MUST be within Salt Lake City proper.

Can I cancel an application?

Cancellations can be processed at any time; however, no refunds will be given for the permit processing fee. If you need to cancel, please email us immediately at

What are Cost Recovery fees?

The City provides basic services by all departments. The City shall provide additional city services beyond “basic city services” if the applicant agrees to compensate the City for costs incurred in conjunction with the event above the basic services. The assessment and collection of the costs associated with these services is called Cost Recovery. For example, services provided by the Salt Lake City Police Department are often required for traffic control during marathons. The Event Permitting Office sends invoices and collects payments for any Cost Recovery that may apply to your event.

*PLEASE NOTE: The city imposes a 2.12% surcharge on all credit card transactions, not including debit cards.

How do I reserve a park for my event?

You must contact the Parks Department first to ensure your requested date and park is available. Reservations are on a first come, first served basis. As soon as the Event Permit Office enters your application into the system, the park (or any other location you request) will be on ‘soft hold’ for 7 business days. Failure to pay the processing fee within those 7 business days will result in cancellation of the hold and a new application will need to be resubmitted.

SLC Parks Department, 1965 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, Utah – Phone: 801-972-7800

*Please note that Sugar House Park is maintained by Salt Lake County; all requests to hold an event at that park must be directed to Craig Cheney at (801) 483-5473.

How do I pay the application fee?

Salt Lake City Event Permitting has moved to an online platform for making payments. Once you submit a completed application to our office, we will enter your event information into our system. You will then receive an automated email from (we suggest adding this email address to your contacts to prevent it from getting bumped to the spam folder) with instructions on how to pay the fee online. After we receive notification of your payment, we will submit your application to our Event Review Committee and begin the permitting process.

You can download a receipt for your payments in the same place where you paid. Make sure to be logged in, select “Check/Pay Event Application” and search your permit number. Once you pull up your permit information, look for the “attachments” portion at the bottom of page and a PDF version of the receipt can be downloaded there.

*Please note: we will not begin the permitting process for your event until the application fee is paid in full. The fee must be paid within 7 business days from the date you are notified to pay.

How do I report a non-permitted or disruptive event?

If you encounter a special event (on City property, usually open to the public; often with vendors and/or music) that does not have a Special Event Permit, or is breaking the Salt Lake City Noise Ordinance by being too loud, you can report them to:

Salt Lake City Police Department Dispatch at 801-799-3000

We LOVE our Salt Lake City events, we just want to ensure that they are conducted in a manner that adds to the vibrancy and livability of the City, rather than have them cause disruption or potential safety hazards to our community.

How Do I Provide Homeless Outreach?

If you are interested in providing outreach to the homeless or other people in need, please consider that there are already excellent organizations in Salt Lake City that provide food, clothing, and other services to people in need. Together, these organizations already serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner nearly every day of the year, and they rely almost solely on donations and volunteers like you in order to do so. Providing assistance through these existing programs is the best way to give back in our community—and these organizations have a structure in place to utilize your time, goods, and money in the most efficient way possible. Please reach out to the following organizations to inquiry on how you can volunteer:

St. Vincent De Paul Dining Hall: 801-363-7710

Rescue Mission of Salt Lake: 801-355-1302

The Road Home: 801-359-4142

Salt Lake City Mission: 801-355-6310