Hello District Five Neighbors,
On Dec. 13, 2022, the Council approved the rezoning of multiple parcels located at approximately 1550 South Main Street. This rezone grants these parcels a zoning change to FB-UN2 (Form-Based Urban Neighborhood Zoning District).
I voted in favor of this rezone for several key reasons, including:
- The FB-UN2 zone presents an opportunity to transform a blighted group of parcels into a lively development, providing much-needed housing to the Ballpark neighborhood and Salt Lake City as a whole.
- The adopted development agreement requires at least 1,000 square feet of commercial space along
- Allowing a greater mix of uses will also help enhance the area’s sense of place while creating a space that is friendlier to pedestrians.
- The conditions outlined in the adopted development agreement will promote active transportation by requiring bicycle storage and maintenance facilities.
Although some neighbors requested adding larger setbacks to the development agreement, I believe they would hinder some of the benefits of this development. The sidewalk and park strip along Main Street are already very wide and able to accommodate the street’s needs. Maintaining smaller setbacks and allowing the buildings to be closer to the sidewalk will:
- Enhance walkability,
- Promote retail activity,
- Increase feelings of liveliness, and
- Create a more comfortable and human-scale space
I am eager to see these changes evolve and for nearby communities to experience these benefits. To read more about this rezone, please visit https://tinyurl.com/1550SMainStreetRezone.
Council Member Darin Mano
Sign Up for My NewsletterTags: Land Use