Salt Lake City

Mayor's Office of Equity & Inclusion

Accessible Parking

If there is someone without a disabled parking license plate or placard illegally parked in an ADA reserved spot, call 801-535-6628 to report this to Salt Lake City’s Compliance division.

If you have an issue with accessible parking at a business, you can contact the Disability Law Center at 800-662-9080 or file a compliant with the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division.

If you have other questions or concerns about accessible parking in Salt Lake City, email Scott Vaterlaus or call 801-535-7129. 

Meter Parking for People with Disabilities

Special parking for people with disabilities is provided throughout the city and people with disabilities also receive special considerations for posted and meter parking. Any vehicle displaying a disabled parking plate or placard may park at any metered space or time restricted zone without charge for up to two hours. Disabled designated vehicles MAY NOT park in any safety or restricted parking areas. Only vehicles displaying a disabled parking plate or placard, and transporting a qualified disabled person, may park in a parking space that is clearly identified as reserved for use by a disabled person.

If you have other questions about parking enforcement, check out the Parking Enforcement FAQ

To find out if you’re eligible or to apply for a disability placard, plates or hangtag, visit Utah Division of Motor Vehicles

Accessible On-Street Residential Parking 

Accessible On-Street Residential Parking is an opportunity to provide qualified disabled City residents with accessible parking in close proximity to their residences in certain situations, on a case by case basis. Accessible parking signs may be installed in residential areas upon request. 

Requirements and Conditions:

Disabled individuals who apply for an accessible on-street residential parking sign must meet the following conditions to qualify for a sign. The applicant:

  • must live on a residential street.
  • must have either a current disabled Utah license plate or a disabled placard issued by the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles. 
  • must live at the location for which the signs are being requested.
  • may not have a driveway or access to off-street parking (such as parking lots). 

If you live in an apartment building that provides parking for residents, it is a reasonable accommodation for the housing provider, not the City, to provide a reserved accessible parking space when a resident with a disability requests it. Learn more about reasonable accommodations and modifications for people with disabilities here

Request Accessible On-Street Residential Parking Sign 

To make a request for an Accessible On-Street Residential Parking sign, email Scott Vaterlaus or call 801-535-7129. 

Include the following information in your request:

  • Name of person requesting sign 
  • Phone Number or Email Address (This is how you will be contacted about the request.)
  • Address of the location for which the signs are being requested

Once your request is received, Salt Lake City will evaluate to determine if the request is possible. You will be contacted about the request within 14 days. These requests are handled on a case by case basis. If your request is approved it takes at least 45 business days before the sign may be installed.

Accessible Residential Parking Sign Removal

If the applicant moves, becomes deceased or is no longer a person with a disability, email Scott Vaterlaus or call 801-535-7129 to have the signs removed.

Complaints that a program, service, or activity of Salt Lake City Corporation is not accessible to persons with disabilities should be directed to:

Ashley Lichtle, ADA Coordinator
Office of the Mayor
451 South State Street, Room 345
Salt Lake City, UT 844114-5474
Phone: 801-535-7739
TTY: 711
Fax: 801-535-6331