City Creek / Memory Grove
City Creek Canyon was established as a National Register district in 1980 and was designated a Local Historic District in 2015.
City Creek Canyon/Memory Grove Historic District lies at the mouth of City Creek Canyon in a gully between the Capitol Hill area on the west and the Avenues area on the east. The local boundary extends from 300 North on the south to the entrance to the canyon on the north. The district includes the slopes of the canyon up to Bonneville Boulevard.
Originally, City Creek ran down the center of the area. The banks of the stream were covered with grass and weeds, except in those areas where the ground was cleared to build industrial mills. In 1910 the creek was put underground partway through the mouth of the canyon. The creek now flows over and under bridges, to add to the beauty of the Memory Grove. After it reaches the end of the park, the water is piped underground.
Memory Grove contains several war memorials that were built between 1924 and 1942. In addition some of the weapons of the various wars have been placed in the park. The local district includes Memorial House and the Meditation Chapel, but does not include the small residential area in the mouth of the canyon – these structures are in the Capitol Hill and Avenues local historic districts.