The Exchange Place Historic District was established as a National Register district and was designated a Local Historic District in 1978.
The Exchange Place Historic District contains ten closely grouped buildings and three non-contributory structures which are located along Exchange Place, a narrow street one block in length along South Main Street between 300 and 400 South Streets and along 400 South Street between Cactus Place and State Street. This area constitutes Salt Lake City’s second major commercial district.
The ten buildings were all erected between 1903 and 1917 and employed a protected steel frame, masonry-type of construction which was considered “fireproof” and the most progressive method of building for its time. The buildings range from one to thirteen stories tall. The twelve-story Boston and Newhouse Buildings were considered Utah’s first skyscrapers. Several styles of architecture and combinations of Salt Lake City, Chicago, and New York architects are represented.