The historic district encompasses a considerable area of Fort Douglas and represents five periods of construction ranging from about 1864 to 1931. Gen. Patrick E. Connor established the fort in 1862, and during the next few years, the soldiers built numerous log, adobe, and frame structures. In 1874 the Army undertook an improvement program and erected a group of red sandstone buildings that are among the most impressive on the post.
Frame construction was the standard in the mid-1880s, but after Fort Douglas gained regimental status in 1901, brick became the most used building material. Brick structures from both the 1910s and the 1930s are embraced by the district. The 1930s buildings are included because they, like most of the more historically significant structures, form part of an attractive vista around the beautifully manicured parade ground.