Highland Park // 1998 National Register
Highland Park, developed between 1910 and 1926 by Kimball & Richards Land Merchants, with development continuing through the 1940s, is an important historical subdivision in Salt Lake City, Utah. Highland Park is important for its grand scale, having approximately twenty-five times as many lots in its first plat as most typical local subdivisions of the same period. Annexation was important to subdivisions in unincorporated areas because of the lack of city services, and Highland Park is an early and very large example of annexation into Salt Lake City.
Between 1890 and 1909, three annexes were added to the city, none larger than thirty acres. Kimball & Richards lobbied to pass the Sugar House Annex of 1910, which included nine hundred acres, one-third of which was Highland Park. They also arranged for an exclusive and innovated express trolley service. This subdivision is also significant for its distance from the city core beyond most pre-existing suburbs and for being the first subdivision on the south side of Parley’s Creek, a natural boundary at the time.