Free Metered Parking for Green Vehicles
Vehicles that achieve a designated city fuel economy are eligible for a special parking permit that allows free parking for up to two hours in Salt Lake City parking meters. If your vehicle qualifies for a SLC Green Vehicle parking permit, please bring the following items to the Transportation Division office at 349 South 200 East, Suite 150 during regular business hours:
- Driver’s license
- Qualifying Green Vehicle
- Proof of Utah residency if your vehicle registration is from a state other than Utah (lease, rental agreement, deed or two utility bills)
Vehicles must achieve an EPA city fuel economy rating of 41 miles per gallon or higher, or an EPA Smog Rating of 8 or higher to qualify. If a vehicle is powered by multiple fuels (i.e. compressed natural gas, electricity, etc.) the lowest EPA Smog Rating associated with the vehicle is used to qualify for this program.
To find out if your vehicle qualifies, please visit www.fueleconomy.gov to determine your vehicle’s city fuel economy rating and EPA Smog Rating.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do bi-fuel CNG vehicles qualify for the program? Most bi-fuel CNG vehicles do not qualify for the program based on their EPA test results for gasoline.
- Does a Chevrolet Volt qualify for the program? Most Volts found in Utah do not qualify for the program based on their EPA test results for gasoline.
- Do motorcycles qualify for the program? Motorcycles do not qualify for the program.
- Do bio-diesel powered vehicles qualify for the program? Bio-diesel powered vehicles do not qualify for the program.
- Are there other special programs for high mileage or clean vehicles in SLC? The State of Utah has a program for clean vehicles that allows use of the Carpool/HOV/Express lanes on I-15 by vehicles operated with a single occupant that meet specified clean fuel and emission standards. Please check the UDOT’s C Decal webpage for current program status, a list of qualifying vehicles, and an online application.