Free Metered Parking for SLC Green Vehicles
SLC Green Vehicles are eligible for a special parking permit that allows free parking for up to two hours at Salt Lake City parking meters. See SLC ordinance 12.56.205.
Each year the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) publishes standards for vehicles to certify as SmartWay Elite. SmartWay Elite vehicles are considered to be the very best environmental performers. SLC Green Vehicles are vehicles from all model years that qualify as SmartWay Elite, not only for their own model year, but also under the current calendar year EPA standards. This SLC requirement ensures that the free parking incentive is only provided, ongoing, to the best environmental performers. To determine if your vehicle qualifies as a SLC Green Vehicle, look to see if your vehicle is included in the list below:
Calendar Year 2022 SLC Green Vehicles List
If you own a model year 2021 or 2022 vehicle, and it’s not shown in the list, you can look it up on the EPA’s Find a SmartWay Vehicle webpage to determine if it’s designated as SmartWay Elite (look for a green checkmark on the right side of your vehicle’s information). If you discover a 2021 or 2022 SmartWay Elite vehicle missing from our list, please notify us by email at: email@example.com.
For calendar year 2022, renewing your 2021 parking permit will not be required. We will continue using the blue-colored 2021 permit throughout calendar year 2022.
If your vehicle qualifies as a SLC Green Vehicle, please e-mail the following items to the Transportation Division office at firstname.lastname@example.org, to have your parking permit mailed to you:
- Registration (Please use larger format on JPG or PDF)
- Driver’s license or other state-issued identity card (Please use larger format on JPG or PDF)
- Proof of Utah residency if your vehicle registration is from a state other than Utah (lease, rental agreement, deed or two utility bills) (Please use larger format on JPG or PDF)
- Green Vehicle Parking Permit Application
Frequently Asked Questions
- My vehicle qualified as Smartway Elite in a prior year, do I qualify for free parking? The EPA periodically updates SmartWay Elite criteria so they can maintain their goal of certifying the top cleanest, most efficient vehicles. If your vehicle still qualifies as Smartway Elite under the current calendar year criteria, your vehicle will be listed in the current Calendar Year 2022 SLC Green Vehicles List.
- Does this parking permit provide free parking at the University of Utah parking meters? The permit is only valid at SLC parking meters.
- Do motorcycles qualify for the program? Motorcycles do not qualify for the program.
- Do bio-diesel powered vehicles qualify for the program? Bio-diesel powered vehicles do not qualify for the program.
- Are there other special programs for high mileage or clean vehicles in SLC? The State of Utah has a program for clean vehicles that allows use of the Carpool/HOV/Express lanes on I-15 by vehicles operated with a single occupant that meet specified clean fuel and emission standards. Please check UDOT’s Express Lanes webpage for current program status, a list of qualifying vehicles, and an online application.