Free Metered Parking for SLC Green Vehicles
SLC Green Vehicles are eligible for a special parking permit that allows free parking for up to two hours at Salt Lake City parking meters.
On July 31, 2018, the Salt Lake City Council passed an ordinance amending the SLC Green Vehicle Parking Program (See SLC Code 12.56.205). Beginning August 17, 2018, vehicle eligibility requirements for drivers obtaining new permits through this program have been updated as set forth below. All prior and new parking permits issued through this program will be valid through December 31, 2019. Vehicles displaying Utah C plates will also continue to receive free parking at SLC meters, but only through December 31, 2009. After that date, new permits will be issued to drivers of qualifying vehicles which will then be renewed annually. The Utah Clean Fuel Vehicle Decal (C Decal Permit) cannot be used for free parking at SLC parking meters.
To qualify as a SLC Green Vehicle, a vehicle must meet the standards established by the EPA to be designated as SmartWay Elite under the most current year SmartWay Elite criteria. For a list of qualifying vehicles see the SLC Green Vehicles List. If your vehicle is of the most current model year and is not shown in the list, you can look it up on the EPA’s Find a SmartWay Vehicle webpage to determine if it’s designated as SmartWay Elite (look for a green check mark on the right side of your vehicle’s information).
If your vehicle qualifies as a SLC Green Vehicle, please bring the following items to the Transportation Division office at 349 South 200 East, Suite 150 during regular business hours, to obtain your parking permit:
- Driver’s license
- Qualifying SLC Green Vehicle
- Proof of Utah residency if your vehicle registration is from a state other than Utah (lease, rental agreement, deed or two utility bills)
Frequently Asked Questions
- My vehicle qualified as a Smartway Elite in 2012, do I qualify for free parking? The EPA periodically updates SmartWay Elite criteria so they can maintain their goal of certifying the top cleanest, most efficient vehicles. If your vehicle still qualifies as Smartway Elite under the most current year criteria, your vehicle will be listed in the SLC Green Vehicles List.
- Does this parking permit provide free parking at the University of Utah parking meters? The permit is only valid at SLC parking meters.
- Do motorcycles qualify for the program? Motorcycles do not qualify for the program.
- Do bio-diesel powered vehicles qualify for the program? Bio-diesel powered vehicles do not qualify for the program.
- How can I tell if my Chevrolet Volt qualifies as a SLC Green Vehicle? First, look at the Vin # on your vehicle. Eligible vehicles with the low emissions package for model years 2012-2014 will have an E, F, G or H in the 5th position of the VIN (counting left to right). For model years 2015-2018 you will need to have a C or D in the 5th position. Second, verify that your Underhood ID # matches the one in the SLC Green Vehicles List.
- Are there other special programs for high mileage or clean vehicles in SLC? The State of Utah has a program for clean vehicles that allows use of the Carpool/HOV/Express lanes on I-15 by vehicles operated with a single occupant that meet specified clean fuel and emission standards. Please check UDOT’s C Decal webpage for current program status, a list of qualifying vehicles, and an online application.