PROJECT UPDATE (updated 8/16/2021) – Construction started on June 14, 2021. Learn more about the project below.
100 South Reconstruction:
900 East to University Street
Salt Lake City will reconstruct 100 South in summer of 2021 (starting on June 14th) to address failing pavement conditions and replace the storm drain and curb and gutter along the corridor. Some sections of sidewalk and driveway approaches will also be reconstructed. When complete, there will still be two lanes of traffic in each direction. Concurrent with construction, some public utilities improvements are also planned, including replacement of some sections of the water main and slip lining the existing sewer line to extend its service life. The location of these activities will be confirmed later this spring.
The project will also address some of the safety concerns we have heard from the public, primarily by shortening crossing lengths with the use of “bulb-outs.” Bulb-outs are widened sections of curb on either side of a crosswalk that shorten the walking distance for pedestrians and help slow cross-traffic. This project will install bulb-outs on the east side of Lincoln St. and all corners of 1000 East and 1200 East. The intersection of University Street and 100 South will be fully reconstructed to improve safety. Changes include wider corners to better align the traffic lanes from east to west, bulb-outs to shorten the crossing lengths, new traffic signals and some additional trees and landscaping. The realignment of the intersection will remove the dedicated right-turn lanes currently on the north and east legs. This small change may add a few seconds of additional travel time, but offers a significant reduction in the potential for pedestrian/auto crashes. The mid-block crossing at McClelland Street will also be improved with a raised center median, trees and new paint to make it more visible to cross-traffic. An additional pedestrian call button will be added in the center as well.
Fall 2019/Early 2020 – Community outreach, input gathering, and draft conceptual design development
Winter/Spring 2020 – City design team develops engineering
drawings based on the conceptual design.
Fall/Winter 2020 – Final design. See what the street will look like.
Spring 2021 – Contractor Selection.
Summer to Fall 2021 – Construction.
Further information on the construction timeline and impacts will be available on this webpage as we get closer to construction.
Project Update – Construction Activities Through September 2021
|Work in the University Street/100 South intersection|
– Starting on August 20th, there will be a detour on University Street between 200 South and 100 South. Traffic will be directed down 200 South to 1300 East where traffic can then turn either direction on 100 South (see map below).
– This detour will be in place due to utility work on the south side of the intersection
Lane shifts starting around 900 East
– There will be a lane of traffic maintained in each direction but motorists can expect slower traffic as drivers adjust
– Curb and gutter work continues
– On August 23rd, crews will begin to remove asphalt
What to expect in the coming week
– Sidewalk installation
– New asphalt roadway
Things to know
– One lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction through the project
– Please drive safely through the construction zone! We want to keep everyone safe.
– Please be vigilant about the no parking signage
– Expected project completion in September 2021
What We’ve Heard
Preliminary design plans have been completed based on public input, City master plans, as well as traffic and corridor analyses. Click below to download the 100 South survey raw data.
This project is funded through the 2018 voter-approved Funding Our Future street reconstruction bond.
- Project Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Hotline: 801-420-3114
- Jena Carver, P.E., Transportation Engineer: 801-535-6694
- Josh Thompson, P.E., Construction Project Engineer: 801-535-6177
- Social Media: @SLCmoves @SLCgov | #100SouthSLC