June 1, 2023
Contact: Whitney Gonzalez Fernandez
801-535-7679 – CCcommunicationsgroup@slcgov.com
– – – – –
The Council would like to express our support for Councilwoman Amy Fowler in her decision to resign. We know this was a difficult decision and we trust it was made with the best interests of District 7 constituents and her personal wellbeing at heart. We thank Amy for her years of dedicated service to our City and wish her the best in her future endeavors.
The Council must appoint a qualified candidate to fill the vacant seat within 30 days after the resignation takes effect on July 3. A candidate to serve the term’s remaining two years will be determined in the November election. Some of Councilwoman Fowler’s notable accomplishments on the Salt Lake City Council since 2018 include:
- Working to help marginalized and unsheltered individuals access vital resources, including volunteering her personal time and expertise during many Kayak Court events.
- Advocating for historic investments in affordable housing initiatives through her various leadership roles in the City’s Redevelopment Agency (RDA).
- Helping to provide menstrual products at all City facilities, including the Salt Lake City International Airport, so everyone who menstruates has access to necessary hygiene products.
- Advocating to expand one of the first innovations in alternative response models – SLC Fire’s Medical Response Team. This helped save the City millions of dollars and significantly reduce emissions and paved the way for additional alternative response models in the City.
- Helping the City recover from the COVID-19 pandemic and as Council Chair in 2021.
- Serving as Vice Chair and Chair for the Large Cities Council with the National League of Cities in 2020 and 2021, respectively.