Salt Lake City

City Attorney's Office

Prosecutors Office – Frequently Asked Questions

What is the court process from beginning to end?

  1. Citation, Jail Booking, detective screening or citizen screening
  2. Arraignment
  3. Pre-trial
  4. Bench Trial or Jury Trial
  5. Sentencing

I received a citation, but the court doesn’t have any record of it. Why not and what do I do?

Give the police case number to the clerk at the prosecutor’s office and ask him/her to look it up. It does take some time to get into the system. If it is a DUI it may take up to 30 days.

How do I press charges against another person?

Contact the Salt Lake City Police Department to file a police report, once the case is in the SLCPD database you may call to set up a citizen screening appointment with the Prosecutor’s office.

I received a subpoena and I don’t know what to do.

Follow the directions outlined on the subpoena. There should be a contact number for the prosecutor handling the case. If not you may call (385) 468-7900. If you get transferred to the voicemail of the prosecutor handling the case you should leave a message including your name, phone number, the defendants name, case number, and whether or not you will be able to attend court. Make sure you specify on the voicemail if you need further assistance.

How do I know if a case is going to be heard in court?

Contact the appropriate court and speak with a clerk. They can look up the status of the case.

How do I clear up a bench warrant?

Contact the appropriate court and speak with a clerk, they can look up the case and help you get a new court date.

What are the maximum and minimum fines and jail time for certain offenses?

Bail schedule is set by statute. Contact the appropriate court clerk’s office for this information.

My driver license is suspended, how do I get it back?

Contact Utah State Driver’s License Division at:

PO Box 30560 SLC, Utah 84130-0560
(801) 965-4437

What is a Plea by Affidavit and how do I obtain one?

A Plea by Affidavit is entering a guilty plea to your initial charges through the court system by a written statement. You must live outside the state of Utah and meet the qualifications determined by our office in order to qualify for a Plea by Affidavit. If you meet our qualifications, our office will prepare the Plea by Affidavit paperwork for you. Please have the court case number available when you contact the Salt Lake City Prosecutor’s Office to inquire about a Plea by Affidavit. If you are represented by counsel, your attorney will need to handle this matter for you.