Council Meeting Rules of Order
efficient, effective, and dignified fashion, free from distraction, intimidation, and threats to safety.
In order to support a respectful meeting, items that disrupt the meeting, intimidate other participants or that may cause safety concerns are not allowed. For example:
- Council staff or security officers may ask you to open any large bags, purses or backpacks for inspection, and may also request changes to placement of recording equipment or other props to help facilitate the meeting.
- Jeering, cheering, clapping and waving signs may intimidate other speakers and cause a disruption, so please refrain from such activities.
- Please be respectful to the historic elements in the room such as: keep feet off furniture; avoid leaning or touching paintings and other décor; and no food or drinks are allowed in the Council Chamber (Room 315).
- Generally, props and equipment are not allowed. If you have a prop or piece of equipment integral to a presentation, please clear its use with a staff member or security officer before entering the meeting room.
- Signs are permitted; however, so that they do not cause disruption or block the view of others, please follow these guidelines: signs should be able to be kept at your feet or on your lap; sticks or dowels are not allowed; signs can be kept near the podium on the floor during your turn to speak.
- If you have questions about proper placement of recording equipment or recording in general, please coordinate this with a security officer or staff member before the beginning of the meeting who will make requests to help ensure that it does not disrupt the meeting or make other attendees feel uncomfortable
- If you have written remarks, a document, or other items you may want the City Council to review, do not approach the dais. Instead, please give them to Council staff and they will distribute them for you.
- Failure to follow these decorum rules may result in removal from the meeting.
Council Member Policy Manual
Social Media Policy
The Salt Lake City Council strives to represent the citizens of Salt Lake City through all its legislative actions.
The Salt Lake City Council Office has created this web page to enable communication between the public and the City Council regarding City programs, services, projects, issues, events, and activities. Salt Lake City’s official website is www.slc.gov. The City Council’s official website is www.slc.gov/council.
Any individual accessing this page (the “User”) accepts, without limitation, the following terms and conditions (“Policies”). The City maintains the right to modify these Policies without notice. Any change is effective upon posting to this page.
Comment and Posting Policy
This page is a limited public forum moderated by City staff. Posted content (comments, photos, links, etc., referred to hereafter as “Comments”) must relate to discussion of City programs, services, projects, issues, events, and activities. Comments posted on this web page will not be edited by the City. However, Comments that do not relate to a topic posted by the City may be removed, including Comments that:
- Endorse or oppose a political candidate or ballot proposition;
- Promote, foster, or perpetuate discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion,gender, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation;
- Include personal attacks, threatening or harassing language, obscene or sexual content or links to obscene or sexual content;
- Solicit commerce, including spam, advertising, or links to other websites;
- Promote illegal activity;
- Violate a legal ownership interest of any person, including improper use of a trademark or copyrighted material; or
- May compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems.
Comments are the opinion of the commentator and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or policy of Salt Lake City, its officers, employees, or agents.
Comments may be a public record subject to public disclosure under the Utah Government Records and Access Management Act (“GRAMA”).
Comments made on this page do not constitute a legal or official notice or comment to Salt Lake City and will not be regarded as a request for service.
- A Comment asking for a public record will not be considered. A public record request can be made on the City’s Public Records Center website.
- To ensure consideration of a Comment regarding a proposed City Council action, please send an email to Comments.Council@slcgov.com.
This web page may contain links to other websites not owned or controlled by the City. The City is not responsible for content that appears on these websites and provides links as a convenience only.
The City reserves the right, at any time and without notice, to delete information posted by a User who violates these Policies. A User who, in the opinion of the City, repeatedly violates these Policies may, at any time and without notice, be denied access to this page.
Information and materials produced by the City and posted on this page are City property. The City retains the copyright to all text, graphic images, and other content produced by the City. A User may, without obligation to the City, view, copy, link to, or distribute information found here if for non-commercial use, unless otherwise stated on particular information which has a use restriction. However, the City makes no warranty that information on this web page is free of copyright claims or other restrictions on free use. Commercial use is prohibited.
The City does not guarantee the completeness or accuracy of any information posted on this web page. The City may suspend or discontinue this web page at any time.
The information posted on this web page is provided on an “as is” basis and the User assumes the risk of use or reliance on such information. Salt Lake City, its officers, employees, or agents are not liable for any damages for viewing, distributing, or copying of materials on this web page, including indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages.
Questions about these Policies or this web page may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.