SALT LAKE CITY CORPORATION
NOTICE OF MIDTERM CITY COUNCIL VACANCY
REQUEST FOR APPLICATION OF APPOINTMENT
CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT FIVE
PUBLIC NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that, as of January 5, 2020, there will be a Midterm Vacancy in Salt Lake City Council District Five. Any person interested in serving as City Council Member in District Five, who meets the following eligibility and residency requirements is hereby invited to submit an application of interest to the City Recorder. The appointed City Council Member will serve through the vacated term ending the first Monday of January 2022.
Eligibility and Residency Requirements:
- Be a registered voter of the Municipality.
- Have resided in Council District Five for 12 consecutive months immediately before the date of the appointment and remain a resident of District Five throughout the term of office.
- In accordance with Utah Constitution Article IV, Section 6, a mentally incompetent individual, an individual convicted of a felony, or an individual convicted of treason or a crime against the elective franchise may not hold office in this state until the right to hold elective office is restored under Sections 20A-2-101.3 and 20A-2-101.5.
Application of Appointment:
Applications shall be submitted, in person, to the City Recorder, Cindi Mansell, 451 S. State St., Room 415, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111 and received by the deadline, January 14, 2020 by 5:00 p.m.
Applicants are encouraged to include a letter of interest and resume to highlight their qualifications for the position. Applicants are reminded that all information provided will become part of the public record. Applicants may not be employed by Salt Lake City if selected for the vacancy. Applications are available beginning Monday, December 16th online at: www.slcdocs.com/recorder/application.pdf.
The City Council will hold a regular public meeting January 21, 2020 to interview applicants. If needed, applicants should also be available for additional meetings to continue interviews January 23, 28, 30 or February 4, 2020. The City Council could appoint an applicant as the Council Member to represent District Five at any of those meeting dates. Meetings will take place at the City & County Building, 451 S. State St., Room 315, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111. For further information, contact the City Recorder’s Office at 801-535-7671, email@example.com.
- 1/14/2020 – Deadline to submit application to City Recorder
- 1/21/2020 – City Council meeting to interview applicants
- 1/23, 1/28, 1/30, 2/4/20 – Potential added meeting dates for interviews
- 1/21, 1/23, 1/28, 1/30 or 2/4/20 – Council appointment of New City Council Member by majority vote, City Recorder swears in new Council Member.
Salt Lake City Code 2.06.050 Vacancy Filling
In the event of a vacancy in the council, it shall within thirty (30) days of the occurrence and declaration of such vacancy, by majority vote of the remaining council members, appoint a qualified elector of the city to fill the unexpired term. The appointee shall serve with all of the rights and powers of a duly elected council member, until the next election and the date a successor is duly elected, qualified and sworn into office. A vacancy shall occur if a council member shall die, resign, terminate legal domicile within the corporate limits of the city and the appropriate council district boundaries, or be judicially removed from office.
See also, Utah State Code 20A-1-510 Midterm Vacancies in Municipal Offices
For additional vacancy process information and a list of FAQ’s, click here.
District 5 Midterm Vacancy Application (available December 16, 2019)
Sign up for D5 Vacancy Updates here.