This Online Open House will provide an opportunity for you to review information about the proposal and provide any questions or comments. This Open House meeting will be an electronic meeting pursuant to Salt Lake City Emergency Proclamation No. 2 of 2020 (2)(b).
Zoning Text Amendment
Permitting Restaurants in the Public Lands Zoning District Text Amendment
Petition Number: PLNPCM2020-00503
Code Section: 21A.33.070 “”Table Of Permitted And Conditional Uses For Special Purpose Districts”
Project Location: Citywide
Mayor Mendenhall has initiated a petition to potentially amend the zoning ordinance regulations to add restaurants as a permitted use within the PL Public Lands Zoning District. The PL zoning district primarily includes government properties that are used for public schools, government buildings, and government operations. The purpose of the district is to provide areas in the city for public uses and regulate the development of those uses. The zoning district includes lands owned by the State of Utah and the United States. These lands are not subject to the zoning regulations, with the exception of public schools, which are subject to some local regulations.
The Mayor has heard from local restaurant owners that have requested to operate in properties that are zoned PL Public Lands Zoning District. Currently, restaurants are not permitted uses in the PL zone. She has requested that Planning staff research the topic to determine whether this is an appropriate use in the zone. Planning staff is requesting public feedback on the issue as we start looking into the potential benefits and impacts of the proposal.
The City’s Planning Staff will review the proposal against adopted policies and regulations and provide a recommendation to the Planning Commission. The below are criteria used to analyze a proposed zoning text amendment:
- Whether a proposed text amendment is consistent with the purposes, goals, objectives, and policies of the City as stated through its various adopted planning documents.
- Whether a proposed text amendment furthers the specific purpose statements of the zoning ordinance.
- Whether a proposed text amendment is consistent with the purposes and provisions of any applicable overlay zoning districts which may impose additional standards.
- The extent to which a proposed text amendment implements best current, professional practices of urban planning and design.
- The Planning Division is in the process of obtaining public comment on this proposal to help identify concerns and issues from the public.
- The Planning Commission will hold a public hearing and will make a recommendation to City Council. The Planning Commission public hearing will be scheduled at a future date.
- The City Council will hold a public hearing and will make a final decision on the zoning amendment application. The City Council public hearing will be scheduled at a future date.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail. Staff will directly respond via email or phone to any questions received as soon as possible.
- Start of the Public Comment Period: August 4, 2020
- End of the Public Comment Period: September 20, 2020
Amanda Roman // email@example.com // 801-535-7660
(phone numbers are currently available for voicemails only)
Please note that public comments will still be accepted up until the date of the Planning Commission public hearing.
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable zoning standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.