Amendment Related to Gas Stations Located Near Water Sources and Sensitive Lands (Public Parks/Open Space
Petition Number: PLNPCM2023-00260
Application Type: Zoning Text Amendment
Project Location: Citywide
Zoning District: All Districts – Citywide
Council District: All Districts – Citywide
Mayor Erin Mendenhall has initiated a petition to amend the zoning ordinance to propose minimum distances that any gas station can be from a river, stream, or other water body, a park, or open space area over a certain size and establish more stringent zoning standards for any gas station that is located in the secondary groundwater recharge area of the city.
Map of Salt Lake City's Open Space and Water Bodies
- Notice of this application has been sent to the Chairs of all Community Councils citywide. Any may choose to schedule the matter at an upcoming meeting. Please contact the chairs of these organizations to determine whether a community council will review this petition and when and how that meeting will occur. The contact information for these groups is as follows: Citywide List of Community Councils
- Notified parties are given a 45-day period to respond before a public hearing with the Planning Commission can be scheduled.
- During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.
- The Planning Commission will then hold a public hearing for additional public comments and then vote to send a positive or negative recommendation to the City Council for their review and decision. Tentatively scheduled for December 13, 2023.
What is the role of the Planning Staff in this process?
The Planning Staff processes the application and seeks input from the community.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question, please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail. Your questions will be answered within a week after the comment period has ended.
- Start of Comment Period: July 10, 2023
- End of Comment Period: August 21, 2023
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable zoning standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.
Diana Martinez, Principal Planner // firstname.lastname@example.org // 801.535.7215