- Drinking Fountain
- Public Art
- Walking Path
- Historical Site
History of the International Peace Gardens
The International Peace Gardens, located along the Jordan River on 9th West and 10th South, is one of two peace gardens in the United States. It was founded in 1939 by Mrs. Otto Wiesley, Citizen Chair of the Salt Lake Council of Women, as a lesson in peace and understanding between nations. Its dedication was planned to coincide with the Centennial Celebration of 1947, but World War II ironically interrupted progress, delaying its opening to 1952.
Each participating Utah-based nation group has a section to beautify at their expense, maintained by the Salt Lake City Parks Division. So far, twenty-eight countries from the Americas, Europe, Africa, and Asia are represented, symbolizing the true spirit of democracy and world peace, history, literature, and many lands’ cultural heritage.