602 E 300 S – Bamboo Multifamily
Application Type: Planned Development and Historic New Construction
Petition Numbers: PLNPCM2023-00124 and PLNHLC2023-00125
Project Location: 602 E 300 S, 612 E 300 S, and 321 S 600 E
Zoning District: RMF-35, Moderate Density Multi-family Residential District
Overlay Districts: Groundwater Source Protection, Local Historic District, National Register Historic District
Council District: District 4, represented by Ana Valdemoros
Thom Jakab, on behalf of the property owners, is requesting New Construction in a Historic District and Planned Development approvals for the properties at 602 E 300 S, 612 E 300 S, and 321 S 600 E. The proposal is to construct a single structure of multifamily housing with 38 units on the properties at 602 E 300 S and 321 S 600 E. The structure at 614 E 300 S will be remodeled. The New Construction in a Historic District request includes a modification to the required front yard setback. The Planned Development request is to use the density provision to change the nonconforming commercial use on the properties at 602 E 300 S and 321 S 600 E to a permitted residential use. In the RMF zoning districts, developments that change a nonconforming commercial use to a permitted residential use with a Planned Development are exempt from the density limitations of the zoning district.
The building at 602 E 300 S is considered non-contributing to the historic district and this was the subject of an administrative interpretation. See PLNZAD-2022-00787 for additional information. Demolition of a Non-Contributing Structure applications were submitted and have been approved for 602 E 300 S and 321 S 600 E. See PLNHLC2023-00129 and PLNHLC2023-00130 for additional information.
Located at approximately 602 E 300 S, 612 E 300 S, and 321 S 600 E.
- Notice of this application has been sent to the Chair of the Central City Neighborhood Council, where the property is located, and the East Central Community Council, which is within 600 ft. The community council may choose to schedule the matter at an upcoming meeting. Please contact the chairs of these organizations to determine whether a community council will review this petition and when and how that meeting will occur. The contact information for these groups is as follows:
- Notice has also been sent to property owners and residents within 300 feet of the project to obtain public input and comments on the proposal. Notified parties are given a 45-day period to respond before a public hearing is scheduled.
- The proposal requires public hearings for the New Construction and Planned Development applications. The Historic Landmark Commission makes the decision on the New Construction application and the Planning Commission makes the decision on the Planned Development application.
- During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop recommendations for the Historic Landmark and Planning Commissions.
- The Historic Landmark Commission approved the New Construction application on November 2, 2023.
- The Planned Development application is scheduled for a public hearing at the November 29, 2023, Planning Commission meeting.
What is the role of the Planning Staff in this Process
Planning staff processes the application, communicates with the applicant to understand the project, and seeks input from the community.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail, your questions will be answered within a week after the comment period has ended.
- Start of Comment Period: July 27, 2023
- End of Comment Period: September 11, 2023
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable zoning standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.
Sara Javoronok, AICP, Senior Planner // email@example.com // 801.535.7625