Zoning Text Amendment
Title 21A, Part VI Terms and Definitions Amendment
Petition Number: PLNPCM2023-00194
Project Location: Citywide
The Salt Lake City Planning Division is considering updates to Part VI of the Title 21A Zoning Ordinance. This amendment focuses on removing unnecessary language from the zoning ordinance.
Chapter 21A.60 is merely a list of the defined terms that are used in the Ordinance. The chapter was created with the intention of helping readers determine which terms are define, but the list has grown to 758 terms. It has become impractical and burdensome for staff to manage each time a text amendment is proposed. In consultation with the City’s Attorney’s Office, the Planning Division believes the chapter provides no benefit to the city or public and slows down the text amendment process. Chapter 21A.60 is proposed to be deleted from the ordinance.
It is proposed that Chapter 21A.62 will be amended to remove terms and definitions no longer used in the ordinance; to correct or clarify definitions; to consolidate terms that have the same definition; and to update outdated language or definitions. Additional modifications may be made to other sections of 21A Zoning for consistency.
- Notice of this application has been sent to Community Council Chairs throughout the City, who may choose to schedule the matter at an upcoming meeting. Please contact the chair(s) of these organizations to determine whether a community council will review this petition and when and how that meeting will occur.
- A 45-day notice period to solicit comments on the chapter updates is held before a public hearing with the Planning Commission can be scheduled. This notice period will end May 19, 2023.
- During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will consider all public comments received and make appropriate modifications to the chapter updates to better meet the needs of the City.
- The Planning Commission will then hold a public hearing for additional public comments and make a recommendation to City Council.
- City Council will hold a public hearing for additional public comments, the City Council will have the final decision on the matter.
What is the role of the Planning Staff in this process?
Planning Staff responds to public comments, answers questions regarding best management practices, will make appropriate modifications to the draft, and will brief and make recommendations to Planning Commission and City Council.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail, your questions will be answered within a week after the comment period has ended.
- Start of Comment Period: April 5, 2023
- End of Comment Period: May 19, 2023
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable zoning standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.
Ben Buckley // email@example.com // 801.535.7142