Self-Guided Walking Tour: Join us for a self-guided walking tour of the Ballpark neighborhood to learn about the proposed Ballpark Station Area Rezones on Monday, October 2, 2023 from 5 – 7 PM // View Event Flyer
Subdivision Code Updates
Petition Number: PLNPCM2023-00494
Application Type: Code Amendment
Project Location: Citywide
Zoning District: All
Council District: All
This proposal would update the city’s subdivision rules to comply with state code requirements and improve how the code is administered. Most of the rules are not changing, but the code is being reorganized to follow a more logical order. The proposal includes the following key categories of changes:
- Updated requirements for subdividers to install utilities, including water, sewer, storm drain, and electricity.
- Updated list of things that the subdivider must pay for and install including all water and sewer lines, streets, curb and gutter, sidewalks, streetlights, street trees, park strips, stormwater drainage, flood control, and easements.
- Requires all streets, sidewalks, trails, and bike paths to be installed when identified in the city’s general plan.
- A subdivider must protect natural features, including streams, rivers, wetlands, wooded areas, and wildlife habitats.
- Clarifies that development on slopes over 30 degrees in the foothills is prohibited as part of new subdivisions.
- Required cleaning up of pollutants on any land within a subdivision that is proposed to be dedicated to the city.
- Establishes requirements for providing mid-block streets and walkways when a subdivision is over 5 acres in size and in a zoning district that allows dwellings.
- Creates new rules for changing the dimensions of existing lots or combining lots.
A law adopted by the Utah Legislature requires the city to update the subdivision code by February 2024. To comply with the deadline, the following steps and timeline must be followed:
- 45-day public input period ends on September 22, 2023.
- Planning Commission briefing is scheduled for August 23, 2023.
- Planning Commission public hearing is scheduled for October 11, 2023.
- Transmittal to City Council as soon as possible after the planning commission makes a recommendation.
- City Council work session, public hearing, and decision may run through January 2024.
What is the role of the Planning Staff in this Process?
The Planning Division is responsible for drafting the proposal, along with all the other departments involved in reviewing subdivisions and ensuring that each step in the process is complete. This includes managing the 45-day public input period and providing the Planning Commission and City Council with the information they need to make an informed decision.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail. Questions will be answered no later than a week after the comment period has ended.
- Start of Comment Period: August 7, 2023
- End of Comment Period: September 22, 2023
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the public input received and general plan policies. As a result, the proposal may be modified before making a recommendation to the Planning Commission.
Eric Daems // email@example.com // 801.535.7236
Grant Amann // firstname.lastname@example.org // 801.535.6171