Volunteers of America of Utah, Inc. – Conditional Use Expansion of a Legal Existing Nonconforming Use – Youth Homeless Shelter
Petition Number: PLNPCM2023-00910
Application Type: Conditional Use – Expansion of a non-conforming legal conditional use
Project Location: 888 S. 400 W.
Zoning District: CG (General Commercial)
Overlay District: 100 yr. Flood Area
Council District: District 5, represented by Darin Mano
Sue Ativalu, on behalf of Volunteers of America of Utah, Inc., is requesting approval of a Conditional Use expansion of a legal non-conforming Youth Homeless Shelter at 888 S. 400 W. The applicant would like to increase the number of the overnight bed capacity from 30 beds to 50 beds for homeless youth aged 18-22. The subject property is located in District 5, represented by Darin Mano.
Located at approximately 888 S. 400 W.
- Notice of this application has been sent to the Chairs of theBallpark Community Council and the Granary District Alliance where the property is located, who may choose to schedule the matter at an upcoming meeting. Please contact the chair(s) of these organizations to determine whether a community council will review this petition and when and how that meeting will occur. The contact information for these groups is as follows:
- Amy J. Hawkins // firstname.lastname@example.org // 703-728-9151
- Britney Helmers // email@example.com // 513-519-0807
- Notice has also been sent to property owners and residents within 300 feet of the project to obtain public input and comments on the proposal. Notified parties are given a 45-day period to respond before a public hearing with the Planning Commission can be scheduled.
- During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.
- The Planning Commission will then hold a public hearing for additional public comments and make the final decision on the matter.
What is the role of the Planning Staff in this Process?
Planning Staff processes the application, communicates with the applicant to understand the project, and seeks input from the community.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail, your questions will be answered within a week after the comment period has ended.
- Start of Comment Period: November 20, 2023
- End of Comment Period: January 4, 2024
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable zoning standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.
Diana Martinez, Senior Planner // firstname.lastname@example.org // 801.535.7215