Driveways & Loading Text Amendment
Petition Number: PLNPCM2023-00937
Application Type: Text Amendment
Project Location: Citywide
Mayor Erin Mendenhall has initiated a zoning text amendment to correct driveway and loading area standards found in the zoning code. Chapter 21A.44 was amended in October 2022 and since then, staff has found that certain standards created unintended consequences. For example, the ordinance now requires a maximum combined driveway width and a maximum number of driveways that is inconsistent with the size and use of properties in the industrial and some commercial zones. This creates issues in the ability of properties to be developed and to accommodate convenient and safe access.
Similarly, staff have noticed that off-street loading area requirements are leading to likely unusable spaces and undesirable building designs. This petition will allow staff to revisit these standards to adequately address parking needs and city goals. This zoning amendment would also correct language in other related sections of the code.
- Notice of this application has been sent to Community Council Chairs throughout the City, who may choose to schedule the matter at an upcoming meeting. Please contact the chairs of these organizations to determine whether a community council will review this petition and when and how that meeting will occur.
- A 45-day notice period to solicit comments on the chapter updates is held before a public hearing with the Planning Commission can be scheduled. This notice period will end January 2, 2024.
- During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will consider all public comments received and make appropriate modifications to the chapter updates to better meet the needs of the City.
- The Planning Commission will then hold a public hearing for additional public comments and make a recommendation to City Council.
- City Council will hold a public hearing for additional public comments, the City Council will have the final decision on the matter.
What is the role of the Planning Staff in this Process?
Planning Staff responds to public comments, answers questions regarding best management practices, will make appropriate modifications to the draft, and will brief and make recommendations to Planning Commission and City Council.
Public Comments and Questions
We want to hear from you! To submit a comment or question please contact the staff planner via email or leave a voicemail, your questions will be answered within a week after the comment period has ended.
- Start of Comment Period: November 16, 2023
- End of Comment Period: January 2, 2024
During and following this comment period, the Planning Division will evaluate the proposal against the applicable zoning standards, taking into consideration public comments as they relate to the standards, and develop a recommendation for the Planning Commission.
Madison Blodgett, Principal Planner // email@example.com // 801.535.7749