If you think your building qualifies for exemption after reviewing the below parameters, complete the exemption form, and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email heading EXEMPTION REQUEST.
These will be reviewed and responded as soon as possible.
The following building types qualify for exemption under Salt Lake City’s Energy Benchmarking & Transparency ordinance:
- Buildings used for heavy manufacturing purposes
- Apartments or multifamily units
- Properties not assessed ad valorem real property taxes by Salt Lake County
- Agricultural storage facilities and greenhouses
- Oil and gas production facilities
- Buildings that contain movie/television/radio production studios, sound states, broadcast antennae, a data center, or trading floor that together exceed 10% of Gross Floor Area
- Building is new construction and the Certificate of Occupation was issued less than two years prior to the applicable deadlines
- Building does not have a Certificate of Occupation or temporary Certificate of Occupation for all 12 months of the calendar year being benchmarked
- Building has had a full demolition permit issued for the prior calendar year, provided that demolition work has commenced, some energy-related systems have been compromised, and legal occupancy is no longer possible at some point during the calendar year being benchmarked
- Building does not receive utility services.