Curbside Glass Recycling
Curbside glass recycling is available in Salt Lake City! If you currently receive curbside waste services from Salt Lake City, you are eligible to receive a can for curbside glass collection. Otherwise, please take your glass to a drop-off location.
Sign up online for curbside glass collection with your water bill account number or call Momentum Recycling at (801) 355-0334.
- Service is optional
- Momentum Recycling will provide a 35-gallon can just for glass
- All colors of glass bottles and jars are accepted (no color separation required)
- Once a month collection, with reminders sent via email, text or phone
- $7 monthly fee, conveniently added to your water bill
Find your monthly curbside glass collection day (Map).
Find your monthly curbside glass collection route (PDF).
- Wheel container to the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your assigned collection day.
- Place can at least three (3) feet away from vehicles or other objects to prevent property damage.
- Do not overfill the can, the lid must close. Overfilled cans may cause spillage in the roadway.
- Do not place items on the side of the can, they will not be removed. Only items inside the can will be collected.
Register for the Program
Residents can sign up online with your water bill account number, or call (801) 355-0334.
Glass Recycling: Voluntary Curbside Service & Drop Off Sites
Salt Lake County Drop Off Sites (for residents only):
Keep in mind that these sites are heavily used (especially on the weekends). The drop-off sites are intended for use by residents only.
- Salt Lake Valley Landfill, 6030 West California Ave (1400 S)
- Salt Lake Valley Transfer Station, 3300 South 502 West
General Rules for Glass Recycling – Drop Off and Curbside
- Glass bottles and jars ONLY. Broken bottles and jars are okay.
- Empty container, remove lids and corks.
- Do not place items on the side of the bin.
Unacceptable Items – Please do NOT place the following items in any glass recycling bin (curbside or drop-off):
- Light bulbs
- Fish tanks
- Dishes, plates, glasses
- Bags, boxes, 6-pack cartons
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens to the glass after it has been picked up?
Glass will be recycled locally at Momentum Recycling’s processing facility in Salt Lake City. Visit Momentum Recycling’s website for details about the destination for the glass cullet.
Why can’t we put glass in our blue curbside can with all of the other recyclables?
When glass is collected in a curbside can it breaks and degrades the other recyclables in your can. This devalues the entire stock of recyclables, as end markets prefer that glass not be mixed in.
Collecting glass separately results in more glass actually getting recycled. Curbside programs that collect glass typically recycle less than half the glass that is collected in the can, due to the glass being broken down into pieces too small to recover. Over 95% of the glass collected for recycling in Salt Lake City ends up getting recycled.
I live in an apartment or multi-family property. Can I sign up? Small multi-family properties which also receive curbside collection for waste and recycling from Salt Lake City, are eligible. Otherwise, please use our drop-off locations. Consider speaking to your property manager about adding glass recycling to their waste program. Your property may also fall under the new Business Recycling Ordinance— which requires properties which produce 4+ cubic yards of waste per week to recycle. Please share this information with your property manager.
How can I recycle glass from my business?
Momentum Recycling also provides a variety of recycling collection services for businesses throughout the Salt Lake Valley. Contact them by calling (801) 355-0334 or visiting Momentum Recycling’s website.
For more information about how glass is recycled in Salt Lake City, please contact Momentum Recycling at (801) 355-0334 or visit Momentum Recycling’s website.