Did you know by letting the water run while brushing your teeth, shaving or washing dishes you can waste 2 to 4 gallons a minute? That adds up to thousands of gallons a year wasted. Follow these simple steps at home and you can easily save water:
- Repair leaking pipes and faucets
- Only run the dishwasher when it’s full
- Set the washing machine for the appropriate load level or only use it full
- Don’t run the water while brushing your teeth, shaving, or washing your hands
- Store a pitcher of water in the refrigerator for drinking so you won’t have to let the faucet run to get cold water
- Don’t use the toilet as a trash can
For example, if you brush your teeth twice a day, for three minutes and leave the water running, you use 6 to 9 gallons of water. If you turn off the tap while you brush, you use less than a gallon. You can save 8 gallons. Challenge met!